• Was solely responsible for survey, positioning and measurement for the installation of a gas platform in Alaska

  • Coordinated a ~$1.2M survey contract for the associated personnel, hardware and systems to be in place and ready on time

  • In charge of mobilizing the heavy lift vessel out of shipyards in Singapore

  • Organized and planned sea trials and systems testing as needed with additional vessels


The KLU3 platform, as seen finished and installed in the Cook Inlet in Alaska

During the installation of the (oddly named) gas platform "Furie Kitchen Lights Unit 3", I was the engineer in charge of all survey, measurement and positioning systems. 

While the platform itself was a 1500 tonne monopod leg with another 800 tonne topside, the challenging water conditions in Kenai, Alaska particularly complicated the project. The local waters had 6 knot currents, 15 feet of tides and absolutely no visibility for divers. Due to the shear stresses this placed on any piling or other anchor in the water column, working quickly was required to allow heavy lifts to happen in the slack tide periods four times a day.

I devised the entire position system and managed the contract to have it executed by a Houston based firm. Using 4 Echoscope sonars on the platform legs as they were being lowered allowed us to connect with the piles quick and maintain visibility on our target at all times. In addition, GPS and IMU units were placed on top of the monopod to provide an absolute position system in world coordinates. This was all monitored and controlled from the survey shack on board the M/V SVENJA.

The deck of the M/V SVENJA under construction in a shipyard in Singapore. The hard points for the winches and wires are about to be welded to the deck.

The SVENJA is seen using both her cranes while at anchor in the Cook Inlet, just off Home, in Alaska

During the outfitting of M/V SVENJA in Singapore I was put in charge of making the entire ship mobilized and ready to go. This was complicated by the need for a well tested 10 point mooring system which had neither been installed nor tested and a control system that had not been designed well by the contractor.

With those challenges ahead of me, I was solely responsible for mobilizing and ensuring full readiness of the ship before we departed for Alaska. Not only did I supervise all aspects of the build out of the winch system, I also arranged charter contracts and devised testing procedures for two tugboats to meet us in the South China Sea for testing of the winches.

After several delays (seen below in notebook) we eventually departed for Alaska at greatest possible speed with a winch system that did, in fact, work.

My notebook. Timelines were created and revised in austere conditions to ensure timely delivery.

The deck of the SVENJA with all winches, generators and controls

Once in Alaska, we were restricted by the Jones Act, to the extent that we could hold on anchor but not maneuver on the ship's thrusters. This made heavy-lift even more challenging than normal and required extremely accurate position measurements and pitch and roll accuracy.

The deck arrangement for the SVENJA, showing winches, wires, and the monopod landing area (center in blue)

The SVENJA is seen among other boats in the DDW-Paxocean shipyard in Singapore

footer ending